Wednesday 15 July 2020

Two Carmelite Libraries : Varroville Library arrives at Middle Park Library

Today an historically significant donation arrived at the Library. The Carmelite community of nuns at Varroville in New South Wales is shifting house. One of the challenges in this change to their lives has been the necessary downsize of their library collection. The Carmelite Library was approached and we readily accepted such an important treasure. Thus, the boxes arrived on three pallets at 9 o'clock this morning. I directed that they be placed in the drive between the church and the Library. 

The big job was moving the boxes in threes via the trolley into the Library itself. It was quite a workout as I did everything myself. I counted 78 regular boxes and 17 of 'old books'. All the books had been expertly packed and sealed. In keeping with quarantine habits developed this year, I leave them now for seven days, to start on checking and description of the 'old books' next Wednesday. I am expecting these to be rare books and early imprints, all of which will now have permanent security and accessibility in their new habitat.



No comments:

Post a Comment